- 2 Cups split peas, washed and sorted
- 4 Cups water
- 2 Cans of vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 carrot diced. You can also shred the carrot
- 2 Stalks of Celery diced
- 1 pound of diced ham
- 1 teaspoon BFF Kitchen granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon BFF Kitchen granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon BFF Kitchen Thyme
- 1 teaspoon BFF Kitchen Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon BFF Kitchen Italian Seasoning
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon no salt added seasoning
- Optional – 2 small potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt – Do not add salt till peas are completely cooked
In a dutch oven or a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrot, and celery in a tablespoon of Del Oliva Tuscan Infused Olive Oil till tender over medium heat.
Add everything green or yellow peas, water, and broth to the saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender approximately 1 – 1 1/2 hours. Keep an eye on the peas since that will absorb the water, after an hour add all the seasonings except for salt. Do not add salt till after the peas are fully soft or have been blended, salt will harden the shell of the peas so that you will not have a creamy soup.
Potatoes will give you a creamier non-dairy alternative. I have also used a cup of heavy whipping cream if I am blending and am looking for a lighter green and richly cream soup.
Serving suggestion, this is a creamy, hearty soup; a crusty sourdough or french bread is the perfect side. I sometimes like to garnish with buttery garlic croutons.